Copy-editing is the process of amending and preparing a manuscript so that it is suitable for publication. As such it is a much more detailed and involved process than proofreading, and requires a greater level of engagement with the work and discussion with the author.
As the copy-editor for your project, my work will involve:
- Labelling/coding all elements of the text (headings, paragraphs etc.) with regard to page layout
- Correcting errors of spelling, grammar, punctuation and syntax
- Suggesting edits to enable the writing to flow smoothly and be understood by the intended reader
- Querying any inconsistencies, possible factual errors and areas in which the meaning is unclear
- Marking the positions of pictures, figures, tables, maps etc. and ensuring these correspond accurately with the textual content
- Applying a consistent editorial style, adhering to house style and putting together a style sheet
- Ensuring the author’s voice is respected and comes across authentically, without changing their style or meaning
- Spotting any kind of inappropriate content i.e. prejudiced language, libel, plagiarism or any suspect content and proposing changes to avoid repercussions
The copy-editing process is not only essential for books but any material intended for a public audience, for instance newsletters, magazines, brochures, marketing material, business reports etc.
I offer copy-editing services to publishers of all the above content as well as independent authors. I am able to copy-edit material on either hard copy or on screen. Most screen copy-editing is done via Microsoft Word, using Word Track Changes.
I generally charge according to the CIEP’s suggested minimum rates, but pricing will vary depending on the size of the project, the type of work required and the level of intervention necessary.
To enlist my services or enquire about price quotes, please do not hesitate to contact me via the form below.